Friday, June 3, 2016

American Sign Language: "president"


American Sign Language: "president"


In the Deaf world, this sign is often used to mean "superintendent" of a Deaf school.
Think of the hats worn by leaders during the colonial times.

PRESIDENT:
Use Letter C at both side of head,as you
move upward and outward change to letter S.


Optional Reading:
In a message dated 11/30/2006 10:49:13 AM Pacific Standard Time, cydrina@ writes:
I was asked to interpret in a union meeting for 2 Deaf ladies, something that is totally out of my field as I am used to interpret in my church. I did a lot of fingerspelling, and thank the 2 Deaf ladies for returning the signs for words I didn't know, words like super-annuation and trusteeship. Is VP commonly used for vice president? Or is that more for Video-Phone? The first time I signed vice president, I spelled VICE and signed president, but after that, I signed VP and they understood me.
Hi Cydrina,
I sign "vice president" by touching the index finger of the "V" hand to the side of my forehead and then moving it to the side a couple inches and signing "P."
I use the fingerspelled letters "V-P" to mean video phone.
:)
--Bill



Dr. Bill's new iPhone "Fingerspelling Practice" app is now available!   GET IT HERE!  

NEW!  Online "ASL Training Center!"  (Premium Subscription Version of ASLU)  ** CHECK IT OUT **

Also available: "ASLUniversity.com" (a mirror of Lifeprint.com less traffic, fast access)  ** VISIT NOW **
Want to help support Lifeprint / ASLU?  It's easy!     






You can learn American Sign Language (ASL) online at American Sign Language University ™
Lifeprint.com  ©  Dr. William Vicars
back.gif (1674 bytes)

No comments:

Post a Comment